Technical Officer (Biodiversity and Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture), P-3, OCB
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) is looking for a Technical Officer (Biodiversity and Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture) who will work with the Commission on Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture at FAO headquarters in Rome, Italy.
Organizational Setting: The Office of Climate Change, Biodiversity and Environment (OCB) promotes the integration of innovative approaches in the activities of the Organization, for the sustainable use, management and conservation of natural resources for food and agriculture, and provides a coordination role on climate change, biodiversity and the environment. The position is located in the Secretariat of the Commission on Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture at FAO headquarters in Rome, Italy.
Reporting Lines: The Technical Officer (Biodiversity Aand Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture) reports to the Secretary of the Commission and the Senior Liaison Officer.
Technical Focus: Biodiversity/genetic resources for food and agriculture management across and within agricultural sectors (plant, livestock, aquatic, forest, micro-organism and invertebrate genetic resources for food and agriculture).
Key Results: Research, technical analysis and project related services to support the delivery of programme projects, products and services.
- Advanced university degree in agriculture, forestry, fisheries, or natural resources management or related biological sciences.
- Five years of relevant experience in natural resources management, including in biodiversity and genetic resources for food and agriculture management.
- Working knowledge (proficient – level C) of English and limited knowledge ( intermediate – level B) of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions.
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work.
- Extent and relevance of experience in the preparation of technical and policy documents, guidelines and manuals in the field of biodiversity/genetic resources for food and agriculture; quality of analytical writing and oral communication skills; level of scientific data processing and analysis.
- Extent of knowledge and understanding of technical and policy matters related to biodiversity/genetic resources for food and agriculture; including developments in other relevant international fora.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare, organize and monitor consultative multi-stakeholder processes and/or inter-governmental and/or technical meetings.
- Ability to work with a wide range of experts and stakeholders at different levels from a variety of sectors and disciplines on policies, programmes and projects.
- Demonstrated track record of successfully mobilizing resources and managing projects, budgets and human resources.
- Strategic understanding of complex policy processes and demonstrated capacity to promote intersectoral approaches to achieve biodiversity friendly agrifood systems transformation and governance.
- Excellent writing skills in English.
- Working knowledge (proficient – level C) of a second FAO language, preferably Spanish or French, would be desirable.
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)Scadenza